Today it’s going to be a lot of fun as I rank players by position in the shore. Now I’m sure, I’m missing somebody and I’m sure many have there TOP 5…so lets get right to it. Just remember there is no sharing the wealth!
Now when I talk about pure point guards. I am talking about guards that make their teammates better, understand clock and situation and are an extension of their coach. They also know when to go get Buckets. The shore quite frankly is the home of point guards
- MADISON ST. ROSE- SJV- JUNIOR– Last season made the switch to point guard. The move made Dawn Karpell look like a Genius once again. Madison St. Rose became the first sophomore in state history to be name PLAYER OF THE YEAR. She is being recruited by Power 5 schools. Her amazing ability to score and Deliver the ball is something we have not seen from this position in recent years. She is an elite defender and was MVP of last year.
- SOPHIA SABINO- RBC – SENIOR– this was a no Brainer. There is a reason she was the most recruited point guard in the Shore if not the state. Her elite pass first, shoot second at college ready sets. She is the best passer in the shore since Jackie Kate’s of SJV fame. Her length and ability to run a team she special. Sabino gave Fordham a verbal after an intense recruiting war among too many schools to list.
- ABBY ANTOGNOLI- St. ROSE- SENIOR- She is lighting quick and one of the best on ball defenders in the state. Her rebounding ability at her size is breath taking. She is aggressive offensively always. She has evolved into a true point guard as her passing and team leadership have taken massive steps forward. The track star will attend Lafayette University of the Patriot League.
- GRACE LEARY- HOWELL- SENIOR- bet this one surprised you. But if you are paying attention this would not be news. Leary has grown leaps and bounds thanks to playing against high level competition in the darkness. She has a competitive nature. Her ability to score and find teammates make her beyond valuable.
- BROOKE HOLLAWELL- MANASQUAN- JUNIOR– pay real attention. She is getting better by the day. Last year the team was turned over to her and she did not disappoint. She is a deadly shooter and talented ball handler. She is a ball hawk on defense. Her upset is scary and D1 college coaches are buzzing around for good reason.. she is streaking toward greatness.
WING GUARDS must be flexible and versatile. Finding a great one it’s not easy. Wings must rebound and get out in transition. They have to defend and help out when your point guard is pressured. If your wings can’t feed the post, your inside game is in serious trouble.
TOP 5 BIG WINGS
- JUSTINE PISSOTT- RBC- JUNIOR– if you could build a wing it would look like this. Pissott, is 6’4” and far away the most recruited player in the entire state. Her shooting range has no limit. She may be the best passing wing in the state. Her ball handling skills are special as is her work ethic. Pissott is a once in a decade type player.
- KATIE HILL- SJV- SENIOR– there is only one way to describe Katie Hill… “winner”. The Senior has been a starter since day one at SJV. Her ability and versatility on both side of the ball is unmatched. She is an elite defender and rebounder. In transition she is off the charts. If need be she can slide to the point Seamlessly. Hill will attend the U of RICHMOND OF THE ATLANTIC 10 Conference. One of the most unselfish players you will ever see. Hill’s competitive nature is completely off the charts
- MARY DONNELY – MANASQUAN- JUNIOR– This is a best and the future of this position. Donnely is big, strong and long. It’s no surprise she has multiple D1 offers on the table. Her ball handling and passing skills are taken for granted. Her rebounding and defense skills are next level right now. Her three point shooting is much improved and dare I say automatic. A future mega star.
- JESS RIEPE – MARLBORO- SENIOR– no played has willed themselves into stardom like Riepe. She has a explosive summer. Her ability to make big shots and get on shooting rolls are to die for. She entered high school as a undersized power forward to leading the Shore in made three’s. She can play at a fever pitch or come off screens. Jess Riepe could move up on this list by years end.
ABBY FURGERSON – HOWELL- JUNIOR– I have screaming to the hilltops about Abby and finally coaches are catching on. She is a big time rebounding win. She is a deadly shooter and unless your in the gym with her you will never know. This skill set will be Exploited at the next level. She can post up and is just electric in transition. She can defend all 5 positions in high school and wil be able to defend four at the next level. She is tracking to have a breakout season. A total gym rat with a big IQ.
COMBO GUARDS- Combo guards must be able to play the point guard and wing position equally as well. They must be able to handle all levels of pressure and run a team. But more than anything they must be able to make the adjustment of scorer to Facilitator.
- GEORGIA HEINE- MANASQUAN – JUNIOR– if you are wondering why college coaches are flocking to her, it because of her ability to play so many positions. She just may be the most versatile combo Guard in the state. She is now a deadly “ELITE SHOOTER” and her passing skills at 6’0” are freakishly exceptional. She is a three level scorer. She also was MVP at NBS while surrounded by some of the best D1 talent in the state. She is that rare combination of talent, work ethic and Desire.
- GRACE MUNT- RFH- SENIOR- she is a program kid. Everything she touches turns to gold. Calling her a combo Guard is silly because she can play all 5 positions equally well on both sides of the ball. He jump shot is basically automatic these days. She is the best passing combo Guard by a mile. She is the rare combo guard who can post up. She will shoot a million free throws at the next level. Her balling handle skills against pressure is next level. She rebounds in traffic. Grace Munt is the ultimate wing.
- ANTONIA PANAYIDES- RBC- SENIOR- the most competitive player in the Shore Conference. A total warrior. She had turned herself into an elite shooter and is murder transition. She not just rebounds in traffic but starts the break off the dribble after. Her ability to guard the best of the best wings is special. Her ball handling skills are next level as is her ability to feed the post. Ally Carman can thank her lucky stars for “Toni”. She has gone from role player to elite player because she will play her role for her teammates and coaches. Monmouth University gets a impact aggressive winner in ANTONIA PANAYIDES.
- CHLOE TETER- RBR- SENIOR– there is only one thing left for Chloe Teter to do these days, pick her D1 school. TETER has done something few players do. She has gotten better each year. More importantly she has made massive jumps in every area. First she is on of the best combo defenders in the state, next she turned herself into a high percentage three point shooter and finally a true point guard when asked to do so. Her improvement curve has been bigger than any player of the last 3 years. TETER has to be considered a star these days. Don’t be surprised if this ranking grows.
- GABBIE ROSS- DONOVAN CATHOLIC- SOPHOMORE- this will come as a surprise to most. But it should not because Ross has show flashes of greatness on the biggest stages. She is explosive on offense and her shot selection improved all season. While I have not seen her since April, I will take a flyer on her competing nature and boundless among of talent. She is tough and will battle anyone. Her ball handling skills are next and the IQ was growing by leaps and bounds during the season. She will get a new start and a free hand at Donovan Catholic, so look for cartoon type numbers. Ross is a future mega star.
POST PLAYERS– they are hardest players to find. Post players most be able to score or get fouled below the phone. More importantly they most be able to defend without fouling why helping teammates
- DESTINY ADAMS- MANCHESTER – SENIOR- she has won every personal award this is to win. She has won every team award you can win except the TOC. She is the measuring stick for all great players. Her ability to take her game to another level is scary. She could be the best two way player in Shore Conference history. She is beyond unselfish and had an elite competitive nature. She was one of the most recruited players in the country and choose UNC. Adams is in the G.O.A.T conversation.
- MEGAN CAHALAN- SJV- JUNIOR -this is the intimate post player. She is one tough hombre and plays all out the moment the ball us tossed. You must see her with her high school team or in highly competitive environments. The 6’2” Cahalan can step out to 22 ft and bury jumpers. She rebounds in traffic and is the best post defender in the shore by a mile. She buries opponents by running the floor like a deer. Her screens are text book as is her passing. Megan doesn’t get the hype but make no mistake.. she is the real deal.
- ALLY CARMAN- RBC- JUNIOR– the most dominant offense post player in the state. She is the toughest matchup in the state. Her offensive package is the best by a mile. Nobody is in her world. She rebounds in her area as well as anyone else because of her elite hands. Her outlet passes have no rival. If here defense catches up to her offensive, we could be talking about the # 1 true center not in the Shore but America. Her new body makeover has improved her conditioning and mobility. If Carman defense improves she could one day not just be the best post in New Jersey but rather the country.
- HANNAH OLDOFF FREEHOLD TWP- SENIOR– she had dominated some top competition over the years. She is blessed with great hands and shooting ability. She is 6’4’ after entering high school as a 5’10’ wing. She is way more competitive than anyone realizes. She has been coached up by John Mayo. She is effective either away from the rim or from the perimeter.She has a big future at the next level. Her shot blocking, skills and scoring ability scream insane upside.
- SOPHIA MEMON- MIDDLETOWN NORTH- SENIOR- she is a defensive wizard. She also is explosive from the foul line and below. Her ability to guard her man and help on defense is special. Sophia’s IQ allow her to play any style. She plays her best against the best. She will not back down. She has improved her passing and can bury the 17ft jumper all night long. Unrelated but not under Appreciated by those watching closely..
Top 5 CLOSERS
- Destiny Adams- Manchester- Senior
- CHLOE TETER- RBR- SENIOR
- KATIE HILL- SJV- SENIOR
- MADISON ST. ROSE- SJV- JUNIOR
- JESS RIEPE- MARLBORO- SENIOR
TOP 5 MOST RECRUITED PLAYERS
- Justine Pissott- RBC- Junior
- DESTINY ADAMS- MANCHESTER- SENIOR (UNC)
- ALLY CARMAN- RBC- JUNIOR-
- MADISON ST. ROSE- JUNIOR
- SOPHIA SABINO- RBC- SENIOR (FORDHAM UNIV)
TOP 5 FRESHMAN
- Hope Masonious-Manasquan- Guard
- JULIA KARPELL- SJV- WING
- DEVYN QUIGLEY- MANCHESTER- COMBO
- NINA EMMANCE- TRINITY HALL- COMBO
- MEGAN SISAS- TOM RIVER NORTH- BIG WING
TO5 SLEEPERS IN EACH CLASS( All D1 Talent)
2024- Charlie Lapinski- Manasquan- Forward
2023- Julia Shane’s- RFH- Combo
2022- Katherine Martini- Holmdel- Big Wing
2021- Niasya Ervin- St. Rose- Wing
TOP 5 DEFENDERS
- Grace Munt- RFH- SENIOR
- DESTINY ADAMS- MANASQUAN- SENIOR
- ASHLEY O’CONNOR- SJV – JUNIOR
- ABBY ANTOGNOLI- St. ROSE- SENIOR
- CHOLE TETER- RBC
Top 5 MOST TALENTED PLAYERS IN OCEAN COUNTY…
1 DESTINY ADAMS- Manchester- SENIOR
2. GABBIE ROSS – Donovan Catholic- SOPHOMORE
3. GIA PISSOTT- TRN- JUNIOR
4.AMAYA BRAY – Manchester- JUNIOR
5. JORDYN KEATING- Donovan Catholic- SENIOR
MORE TOP 5 TOMORROW!!