WHERE– MANASQUAN HIGH SCHOOL
WHO– (#6/#15)-RUMSON VS . (#8 /#14)-MANASQUAN
TIME– 5.30 pm
RECORDS– RFH(3-0)…MANASQUAN (4-1)
RFH and MANASQUAN have both been considered elite programs in the state for years. But now Manasquan has been hit with a massive graduation of stars and RFH has suffered massive injuries. Yet somehow both are ranked in the state. #14 Manasquan and #15 RFH and will be trying improve on those ranking tonight. Manasquan has a quality win over Marlboro and RFH has a win over GIL BERNARD who is ranked 20th in the state.
Both these teams are young. While Manasquan has been playing up the youth angle. RFH has been led by there two senior stars Lucy Adams and Paige Slaven. Manasquan is led by its two sophomore studs Georgia Heine who has D1 offers on the table and Brooke Hollawell whose stock seems to grow everyday. She had 29 points vs. Marlboro and was named 1st Team All WOBM. RFH is loaded with baby star power as well. Julia Shanes, is the front runner for Freshman of The Year and Julia Corsentino has proven she is a legit three point shooter.
Manasquan roster is full of inexperienced but talented players moving into prime team roles. RFH is loaded with seasoned players. Dorthy Loffredo looks ready to have a breakout season after seeing spot time a year ago. She is capable of taking over tonight. Don’t be surprised if she has a big night. She is gaining confidence daily. She has a double/double vs Marlboro (14 points and 10 rebounds) Maci Black and Allison Waters return after sitting out last season with injuries. RFH Cortland McBarron has played at an All Shore level this season. Charlie Rosen and the always under appreciated sr Sophia Passalaqua have been solid as a rock. Both are proven players on the big stage
TWO STYLES OF PLAY
RUMSON FAIR HEAVEN
This will be a game where RFH will try to impose their competitive nature on Manasquan. Look for them to apply full court pressure from start to finish. Coach Callahan will not be afraid to go 10 deep. RFH shooters will spot up and look for Paige Slaven to find them for open three’s. Lucy Adams has been spectacular early in the season. Look for her to protect the lane and clean up on the boards. Cortland McBarron just may be the wild card. She is Capable of a big scoring night. She can shoot the deep three or get to the rim. Look for Molly Kelly, Sarah Hughes and Dylan Cahill to come flying off the bench. All three are fearless and capable shooters. The moment will not cause them to pause. Don’t be shocked to see 4 freshman on the court at times. Coach Calahan has tremendous confidence in his babies. Charlie Rosen will pressure the Manasquan Guards when she comes in and push the pace on offense. RFH will run at every chance they get even on made baskets by Manasquan.
They are going to try and spread RFH on offense. They will run when the opportunity presents itself. Tonight it will be all hands on deck, as RFH is a deep team. Brooke Hollawell will look to sit behind the arc and shoot three’s. But she is very capable of getting to the rim. Maddie Fagan is a proven big shot maker. She is a seasoned vet who is batted tested.Maci Black will run the show. She has looked terrific in her return. Manasquan will need her to continue her great play. She rarely turns the ball over. She also can knock down open three’s. Georgia Heine and Dorthy Loffredo will do most of the rebounding. Heine cannot get into foul trouble. Allison Waters is very capable of getting on a hot steak behind the arc and she could put RFH on its heels. Baby Rylyn Orlando, has shown no fear and will be needed tonight. Do not be surprised to see Manasquan go to a zone. They really only play 6 and a half players. Manasquan must find a healthy balance of transition offense and half court offense.
Rumson Fair Heaven
1.They must turn Manasquan over in the backcourt with there pressure.
2. Force Manasquan to play fast but do not give up shots in transition. Make Manasquan play half court basketball, when they beat the press.
3. Find Brooke Hollawell and run her off the three point line.
4. Get out and run on offense… get more shots up than Manasquan…say by a 2-1 margin for starters.
5. Loose ball are king.. neither team use their post as primary offensive players.
6. Get on the offense glass… rebound with 3 and a half.. Manasquan does not throw the ball ahead on offense.
7. They must knock down open shots when Slaven breaks down the defense.
- Don’t turn the ball over vs pressure
- Get quality Shots (this is a must)
- Heine must score between 12-15 points
- Control the pace of the game
- Keep Slaven out of the lane
- They must get back in defensive transition
- Get to the rim in transition
- Somebody must get them dribble Penetration in the Half Court offense
Rumson Fair Heaven
- Stay cool on the road. They must keep their composure
- Shot selection rules
- Gang Rebound
- Don’t foul at the rim
- Be Elite out of time outs and special situations(out of bounds, end of quarters, etc)
- Match RFH’s competitive nature
- They must share the ball
- Defensive long rebounds
- Make there Free Throws (they will tape a lot)
- Switch on defense(RFH will overdose on 3’s)
- Somebody must give them dribble penetration and kick in the half court offense.
One team is young and Inexperienced. While the other team is young and very Experienced. Manasquan is at home and that is huge. RFH has the two seniors, that’s huge as well. Both teams need to win for different reasons. RFH’s next two games are against RBC and St. Rose. While Manasquan has 3 very winnable games. I say Manasquan knows it has a great opportunity to take control of their season with a win tonight…
MANASQUAN WINS A BARN BURNER!
STARTS THIS SATURDAY